By: Stacy Kennedy, MPH, RD, CSO, LDN; Reboot Nutritionist
This sounds like a dream dessert, but you can rest assured it’s in fact a heart healthy well-balanced treat. Heart health is all about consuming more plant-based foods, especially vibrant vegetables and fruits and healthy fats like nuts and omega-3s found in chia seeds. Antioxidant-rich dark chocolate and berries offer loads of nutrients that taste indulgent without adding excess sugar. There are many myths about diet and heart disease. One lesser known truth is that sugar is in fact a culprit in the risk of heart disease. Enjoy this smoothie with just a hint of natural sweetness from pure maple syrup, offering heart healthy electrolytes.
Looking for more heart healthy smoothies?
Here’s to Your Heart Smoothie
Chocolate Covered Goji Smoothie
Chocolate Coated Strawberry Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup (50 g) frozen blueberries
- 4 tbsp goji berries
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- ½ cup (115 g) spinach
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Wash spinach.
- Add almond milk then vanilla, frozen berries, goji berries, almond butter, chia seeds, cacao nibs, cacao powder and spinach to blender.
- Blend on high for 45 – 60 seconds until smooth.
- Garnish with berries, chia or chopped almonds as desired (optional).
- Goji berries – dried cranberries, dates
- Blueberries – strawberries, blackberries
- Almond butter – peanut butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter
- Cacao nibs – dark chocolate chips
- Spinach – kale, romaine
- Chia seeds – hemp seeds, ground flax seeds
- Maple Syrup – honey, dates, banana, apple
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat5g
- Protein 10g
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.