Whole Wheat Cranberry Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups (210 grams) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) coconut sugar (0r sugar of choice)
- 1/3 cup (80 grams) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup (70 grams) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 large (50 grams) egg
- Zest from 1 medium orange
- 1 1/4 cup (140 grams) fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel (optional)
- Turbinado sugar for topping (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 12-muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
In a large bowl, mix the sugar, applesauce, oil, milk, yogurt, orange juice, and egg together until well combined. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. I like to mix it in 3 batches.
Fold in the orange zest, orange peel, cranberries, and chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the greased muffin pan. Sprinkle some turbinado sugar on top of each muffin if desired.
Bake for 20 to 23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of a muffin cleanly. It is okay if there are a few crumbs.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in room temperature for a few days. You can also store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Serves: 12 | Serving Size: 1 muffin
Per serving: Calories: 186; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 16mg; Sodium: 430mg; Carbohydrate: 32g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 17g; Protein: 3g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 135mg; Iron: 7%; Vitamin A: 1%; Vitamin C: 5%; Calcium: 3%
Lisa is from San Francisco and has passion for eating well and staying in shape through kickboxing, yoga, and cycling classes. She loves experimenting with new recipes and fitness routines, which she document on her blog, Healthy Nibbles & Bits. When she’s not blogging or exercising, she’s most likely watching Jeopardy! or British TV shows. For more from Lisa, follow her on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.